Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I'm Alive!

Whew! Kidney infections are a bee-otch! I don't think I've ever been that sick. But, with the aid of the new Rx, I am feeling much better now, thanks to all who have posted or e-mailed.

I went to the dermatologist yesterday about my creepy hands, and got a 4-step treatment plan to combat my eczema. (An interesting fact: eczema is an autoimmune deficiency, where there is something in your blood that attacks your skin. Weird. A daily battle every day, and the war zone was literally in my hands!)

Step 1: Don't get your hands wet.
Step 2: Don't get your hands wet.
Step 3: Don't get your hands wet.
Step 4: Try this cream 4 times a day. (Prevex-B for all who wonder...)

So, taking this advice to heart, I used the cream 3 times yesterday, and wore cotton gloves to bed to avoid scratching, and let Mark handle the kids' bath-time. I am not lying when I say that my hands are 80% better today. I'm am going to use this stuff for a week and then post before and after shots of my hands...

Kiddies are at school, thank God. Keegan was off 3 days last week with a killer cough-due-to-cold, and then Monday, they cancelled his bus due to icy road conditions, so we had had quite enough of each other by then!

Keegan starts part 1 of 5 sessions for his psycho-educational assessment tomorrow. Mark and I met with the Dr last Friday for an information gathering session which took 1 1/2 hours. Now he has to go for testing once a week for 5 weeks to see if he has a cognitive delay or not. Poor guy. Of course, I think I will have the tougher part of the series, which is hanging out in the waiting room, not knowing what is going on.

He also has started sessions with an OT (Occupational Therapist) to work on his sensory and fine motor issues. And continued speech therapy. Oh, news there. He was reassessed at the beginning of January.

Over all he has gone from having a severe receptive speech delay, to having a moderate one, which is great. And his responsive language has gone from severe to normal. So, although he still obviously has speech and language delays, he has improved quite a lot, so we did the happy dance that day. He is a hard little worker, and we are very proud of him.

I'm starting now to get paranoid about Ty's lack of speech progress. He has some words (Daddy, Grandpa, Opa, Keegan, go, down, up, no, yes, moo, woof, meow) but that's about it.They say that between 18-22 months, they gain 10 new words every 90 minutes. I don't see that happening, unless he's just filing them away for future use...going to ask the doctor next week.

Phoenix is doing great. He has learned his phone # and address, and this Saturday is his belt ceremony for Karate, where he will be getting his first coloured belt.

I can't think of any other news right now. I have to go put an extremely crabby toddler down for a nap.

Later taters!

No comments: