Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Out of the Mouths of Babes?

My son said something to me this morning that literally left me speechless. I simply stared at him open-mouthed...

We were about to leave to take Phoenix to school, and I asked him to please get Keegan's juice for him out of the fridge. He did, and as he handed it to me, he said, "I'm not your slave, you know!" My look of shock and disbelief didn't phase him. I asked him to repeat what he said in case I had misheard him. But no, he repeated it verbatim. Then the look on my face must have hit home, because he started backing up against the wall, saying, "Oh no, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I don't even recall what I said to him, something menacing, I'm sure.

I repeated the story to my husband over dinner, and he almost choked. "Where does he get this stuff?" he asked incredulously. I simply shrugged, but as I was finishing my meal, a recent memory floated past my brain...

Phoenix: Mom! Get me a snack!
Me: Jeez, Phoenix, I'm not your slave, you know!

Yeah, well, I guess it's just another one of those daily occurances where what you say in passing comes back to bite you in the ass...BAD MOMMY!

No comments: