Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Can You Whisper Amen, My Sistah?

Well, after thinking long and hard about what to give up for Lent, this is what I finally came up with. Firstly, I'm not a good enough Catholic to EVER give up chocolate, so I thought I would come up with something do-able, but not easy.

I also wanted to pick something that would benefit the kids as well, so, I have decided to give up yelling. Doesn't sound hard, but believe me, with three noisy boys in the house, yes, I yell quite a bit, and to be honest, I don't think it's doing any favours to my blood pressure readings.

I do have a Lenten disclaimer however. Meaning that there is only one circumstance where I can break this promise...and that is if a child is in danger (touching a hot stove, running into traffic etc.). Because I think that yelling in one of those instances would be instinctive, and necessary as well.

So, wish me luck, as I begin my saga of talking softly (and carrying a big stick.)

2 comments:

Susan Dore said...

Hi Shannon, Great idea, however I wonder if not yelling, i.e., "holding it in" may be more detrimental to your blood pressure! Good luck!

P.S. The more I read your blog, the more I enjoy it! It gives real insight into the life of being a Mom, which as you know I know nothing about. You are a great writer.

Shannon said...

Thanks doll!

PS Trying not to yell when you have 3 kids is really, REALLY hard!